ESXi 4.1 USB Passthrough Non-Working Devices
Please fee free to edit these pages!
- HP DVD 840 - lightscribe DVD Writer
- IOMEGA REV Drives
Human Interface Devices
- iPod Mini (recognised and can be assigned to guest, but cannot start in guest)
Modems and Serial Adapters (including 3G)
- XTE MF112 (recognised as a USB CD-ROM by ESXi and cannot be assigned to guest)
- ZTE MF691 (aka T-Mobile webConnect Rocket 2.0. Fake CD grabbed by ESXi.)
- Huawei E156C (cannot be assigned to guest)
- Huawei E160 (recognized as a USB CD-ROM by ESXi and cannot be assigned to guest)
- Hauppauge DVB-T diversity USB stick
- Western Digital My Workbook RAID 1 500gb
- Magic Jack dongle is not recognized by guest
- APC Smart-UPS (recognized correctly but PowerChute see frequent connects/disconnects so serial port passthrough is necessary)
- Mediasonic HUR1-SU32S USB 3.0 RAID 1 is recognized by guest but after adding successfully it disappears from the virtual hardware.
NOTE for Fake CD/mode switch devices
Passthrough is not possible as the ESXi host claims the devices. By unloading the usb-storage module, these devices can be passed through to a VM.
WARNING: This procedure is NOT supported by VMWare and may crash your ESXi host. You should know what you are doing. You have been warned.
1. disconnect all usb devices
2. log in tech support (enable tech support)
3. remove usb-storage module: esxcfg-module -u usb-storage (esxi modules and additional options)
4. plug in the usb device(s)
5. configure the VM to use the passthrough device(s)